Hermès is one of the most affluent brands in the entire world. The Kelly and Birkin bags are the most coveted and expensive bags worldwide and range from $40,000 to $500,000. The somewhat plain, but beautifully crafted leather bags are a status symbol among collectors and consumers alike. If this doesn’t mean anything to you, let us explain.
Singer and performer Drake collects Birkins for his “future wife” and Kanye West had one customized by artist George Condo for his gal, Kim Kardashian. Virgil Abloh uses them as props in his Off-White runway shows (using another brand in your runway show is VERY uncommon). And did you know that model Kate Moss uses Birkins as diaper bags? Victoria Beckham is rumored to own over 100 Birkins (which would amount to over a million dollars!). As you can see, the Birkin bag is truly the Holy Grail of handbags.
When a Kelly or Birkin bag comes to So Over It Studio, we all get a little bit excited. We treat these bags like royalty, putting on gloves to handle them and locking them up at night, these bags require special care and you can understand why, since they can cost as much as a house!
The history of Hermès has been retained in family ownership for almost all of its existence. Founded by Thierry Hermès, the brand has been passed down through generations and built up from a very niche harness manufacturer to a renowned fashion house.
There is a long list of Hermès designers at the forefront. The big names we love such as Martin Margiela, Jean-Paul Gautier and Christophe Lemaire have dominated the headlines and only strengthen the Hermès brand reputation. Other designers that have worked with Hermès include:
- Lola Prusac
- Claude Brouet
- Mariot Chane
- Bernard Sanz
- Veronique Nichanian
- Nadege Vanhhe-Cybulski
Some of our favourite Hermès facts are:
- In 1956, the Kelly bag debuted after Grace Kelly carried a crocodile version to hide her pregnancy.
- In 1984, actress Jane Birkin replaced her straw handbag with a leather Hermès handbag and thus began the stunning history of the Birkin.
- Fun Fact: The Birkin bag has the longest waitlist for an accessory—6 years!
- Hermès also recently created a complete home line including bed and bath linens, furniture, silverware, crystal, porcelain, baby gifts and office accessories.
- Today, an Hermès silk scarf is allegedly sold every 20 seconds. This is very easy to believe as we have sold over 300 Hermès scarves in our three years at So Over It!
We aren’t sure if marrying Drake is in the cards for us, but we hope to find a way to let him know if he doesn’t find that “perfect” gal we're here for his consigning needs! In the meantime, we will be dreaming and drooling over all of our Birkin and Kelly’s in the studio.